Friday, December 2, 2011

The Gratitude Challenge

Yesterday I was talking to a 6 year old about Christmas. At first we were talking about Santa and how reindeer fly (magic, of course) and I decided to transition the conversation into something more Christ-centered. I asked her why we celebrate Christmas. She knew the answer to that one, "because it's Jesus' birthday." Then I asked her the tricky question, why do we celebrate Jesus' birthday? She thought about that one for a minute, and she said, "Because he died for us?" I agreed with her and went on to say that we celebrate Christmas because of all of the wonderful things Jesus did for us.

Then I got on the computer today and I saw this article in the December Ensign. It was talking all about gratitude. Initially I thought that was strange. I thought, last month was about gratitude, this month is about Christmas. Then I remembered the conversation I had yesterday with a 6 year old where I explained to her the reason why we celebrate Christmas, and I made the connection that we celebrate it because we are grateful for all the Savior did for us.

So at the end of the article was this challenge. I've decided to extend my gratitude beyond the bounds of November and write one thing I'm grateful for from each of the ten categories in ten posts leading up to Christmas. I'm excited to do it because I know it will help me to truly get in the Christmas spirit. I would love to hear what all of you are grateful for as well. If you e-mail me* a list of ten things you are grateful for I will post it on here as well. I know that as we do this we will draw closer to our Father in Heaven and our Savior Jesus Christ.
Take a Gratitude Challenge
By John Hilton III and Anthony Sweat
Let’s not just talk about counting our blessings—let’s do it! Write a list of 100 things you are thankful for. If that sounds like it is too many, try this:

  1. Write 10 physical abilities you are grateful for.
  2. Write 10 material possessions you are grateful for.
  3. Write 10 living people you are grateful for.
  4. Write 10 deceased people you are grateful for.
  5. Write 10 things about nature you are grateful for.
  6. Write 10 things about today you are grateful for.
  7. Write 10 places on earth you are grateful for.
  8. Write 10 modern inventions you are grateful for.
  9. Write 10 foods you are grateful for. 
  10. Write 10 things about the gospel you are grateful for.

When we make a list like this, we discover that a list of 100 doesn’t even begin to scratch the surface of all the things God has given us.

Here are links to the days of the Gratitude Challenge
Day 1
Day 2
(Submissions from My Mom and Dad)
Day 3
Day 4
Day 5
Day 6
Day 7
Day 8
Day 9
Day 10

*kathryn.anderson@myldsmail.net

No comments:

Post a Comment