Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Cheese is the Answer


In high school we used to play the question game. The idea of the game is that each person who is playing comes up with a word or phrase that is their answer for that round of the game. Then everyone goes around asking each other questions and each individual has to repeat the answer that they chose at the beginning of the round. The object of the game is to be the last person in the group to laugh. I am really bad at this game because I can't keep a straight face when something funny or ridiculous is being said. One round I chose the answer "cheese is the answer." I've loved cheese ever since I can remember, and I often think about it. That phrase became so popular in our group of friends that we would say it randomly whenever we got the chance.

Since then, I started getting migraines. In order to lessen the frequency and intensity of my migraines I've had to quit eating some foods. Cheese is one of the foods I had to give up. I haven't eaten any cheese since November 2010, and some days I miss it a lot. Mostly I just get sad when someone asks me what I want to eat and my knee-jerk response is "cheese is the answer." Logically I'd rather not eat cheese than get a head-splitting migraine, but sometimes, emotionally, I want cheese.

Of course cheese isn't really the answer to very many questions at all. It definitely isn't the answer to any of life's important questions like "Who am I?" "Why am I here?," and "Where will I go after I die?" Those questions are so much more important and knowing the answers to those questions brings me so much more peace and happiness than eating any cheese.

I know that I am a daughter of God, I know that I am here to learn and to grow and to prepare to live with God again someday, I know that when I die I will go to a degree of heaven based on the things that I have done and the desires of my heart. I know that it is only through our Savior Jesus Christ that this is made possible. I know all of this because I know that God has called prophets on the earth today just as He did anciently, and He revealed these truths about ourselves to them so they could share them with us. I invite all of you to go to God and pray to know if what I have said is true. I know if you do so sincerely you will receive an answer from your Heavenly Father and you will enjoy that same peace and happiness that carries me through every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment