Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Mountains


I spent the first 21 1/2 years of my life living in the Salt Lake Valley, surrounded by mountains. I love mountains, I love looking at the horizon and seeing snow capped peaks. I love being able to tell which way is East by looking for the "big mountains."
When I got my call letter telling me that I was going to serve in the Tennessee Nashville Mission, I was very excited. I was thrilled at the prospect of spending 18 months of my life talking about my Savior Jesus Christ with so many other people who love Him like I do. One thing that I was sad about was that I would be away from my beloved mountains.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I was happy to discover that the area that I live in isn't completely flat, there is variety in the landscape, which is fun to see. I particularly love this view... even if Sister Koford and I had to experience some bug bites to enjoy it. 
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The other day I got to watch a movie with one of the members of our church. It is called The Mountain of the Lord. It is about the pioneers that spent 40 years building the Salt Lake Temple in Utah from 1853-1893. It gets it's title from the scripture in Isaiah that says, 
The Salt Lake Temple
"And it shall come to pass in the last days, that the mountain of the Lord’s house shall be established in the top of the mountains, and shall be exalted above the hills; and all nations shall flow unto it." Isaiah 2:2 
The movie talks about how prophets in the Old Testament would go up to the mountains to talk to God. It explains that Temples are "the Lord's house" and that they are like the mountains of old that the prophets went to to talk to God. It really made me think that even though I really miss the Wasatch and Oquirrh mountains, there is a "Mountain of the Lord's house" here in Tennessee that I can go to and experience the peace and happiness that comes from being in my Heavenly Father's home.



Learn more about Temples



No comments:

Post a Comment