Thursday, August 2, 2012

The Challenge to Become Part 3: Prayer


As I was studying in the missionary guidebook the other day I came across these quotes...
"Sincere prayer implies that when we ask for any virtue or blessing we should work for the blessing and cultivate the virtue." -David O. McKay, Secrets of a Happy Life, pages. 114–115.
"Our deeds, in large measure, are children of our prayers. Having prayed, we act; our proper petitions have the effect of charting a righteous course of conduct for us." -Bruce R. McConkie, "Why the Lord Ordained Prayer."

Ever since I read them I've been pondering the connection between prayer and becoming. I've come to a couple of conclusions on the subject and I'd love to have your input.

First,  I'd like to submit the idea that the statement, "you are what you eat" could be modified to say, "you become what you pray." I know that Heavenly Father always answers our prayers, so as we pray with the intent to do His will, we will become who He wants us to become.

Second, as we pray, our relationship with our Heavenly Father will grow stronger and we will have a greater desire to become like Him. As that desire grows we will be so much more motivated to pray for His attributes like humility or patience.

So, I just shared with you a small fraction of my thoughts on the subject. What do you think?

  • How are prayer and becoming related? 
  • Are they related at all? 
  • What instances do you know of prayer changing a person?
I look forward to seeing what everyone has to say! 


No comments:

Post a Comment