Saturday, October 29, 2011

WATER!!!!

It is a generally acknowledged fact that water is good for us and we should make a point of drinking about 8 cups a day (give or take) if we want to be healthy, happy individuals.

As missionaries we are strongly encouraged to drink 64 ounces every day. We have been told that as we make a point of doing this we will not have to worry about headaches, stomachaches, depression, and other ailments (mental or physical).

About 4 days ago I woke up with one of those annoying soar throats along with some even more annoying (for a missionary) fatigue. While chewing on some vitamin c, I contemplated what else I could do to make this annoyance go away as quickly as possible. It occurred to me that I hadn't been drinking as much water as I should have been. So, on the way out the door that morning I grabbed a 20 ounce water bottle and went to town- literally and figuratively.

Since then I have been drinking water like crazy. I'm pretty sure I hit my 64 ounce mark by noon yesterday. Now here's the million dollar question... Am I getting better? The million dollar answer? Slowly but surely. It got a little bit worse initially- but now I'm starting to do better. Water has an amazing capacity to make our bodies run the way they should.

As I was looking at facebook today I saw that one of my friends posted this quote.
 “It frankly does not make sense to occasionally 'fill up' with water, with long periods of dehydration in between. The same thing is true spiritually. Spiritual thirst is a need for living water. A constant flow of living water is far superior to sporadic sipping.”
Elder David A. Bednar
I immediately cut and paste it into this post because it applies perfectly to what I am trying to say. Just as drinking 64 ounces of water every day is important for our physical health, so is "drinking" just as much living water every day important for our spiritual health. We need to go to the Savior every day and partake of what He has to offer through prayer, scripture study, pondering, and church attendance. When we do that we are promised that we "shall never thirst."

I know that as we faithfully drink from the well of living water every day we won't need to worry about spiritual ailments. So drink up.




No comments:

Post a Comment