Saturday, October 22, 2011

The Pray Bottle


"God will help us see a difference in someone else not as a source of irritation but as a contribution. The Lord can help you see and value what another person brings which you lack. More than once the Lord has helped me see His kindness in giving me association with someone whose difference from me was just the help I needed. That has been the Lord’s way of adding something I lacked to serve Him better." -President Henry B. Eyring


I need to be reminded of President Eyring's above words of wisdom on a daily basis, sometimes on an hourly basis. As a very wise companion of mine once quoted,
"For the natural man is an enemy to God, and has been from the fall of Adam, and will be, forever and ever, unless he yields to the enticings of the Holy Spirit, and putteth off the natural man and becometh a saint through the atonement of Christ the Lord, and becometh as a child, submissive, meek, humble, patient, full of love, willing to submit to all things which the Lord seeth fit to inflict upon him, even as a child doth submit to his father." Mosiah 3:19
Because of the fall of Adam we all have some "natural man" in us, the trick is overcoming that by "yield[ing] to the enticings of the Holy Spirit." But the Spirit won't come over and entice us if we are too busy being annoyed, angry, grumpy, or, as President Eyring put it, irritated. That's why I feel like I need a dose of this quote daily (or hourly), because I too often welcome the irritated feelings in to set up shop in my heart rather than getting on my knees and asking for the Holy Spirit to help me evict my unwanted tenant.

I am very grateful for a loving God who is always there, ready to help me out as soon as I'm willing to ask.
"The pray bottle"... Do you ever feel like
Heavenly Father is trying to send you subliminal messages?

No comments:

Post a Comment