Monday, December 10, 2012

"The Life You Save May Be Your Own"

When Sister McCall invited me to write a post about what I have learned in my 18 months of full-time missionary service one scripture came to mind...

"For whosoever will save his life shall lose it:
but whosoever will lose his life for my sake,
the same shall save it." Luke 9:24

This scripture has become somewhat cliché in relation to missions and missionary work. I have always believed it to be true because the Savior said it and I know His words are true, but I could never say that I knew it for myself until now. I have done my best to "lose [my] life for [His] sake" over the past 18 months and I have felt that my life has been saved.

I have had so many experiences that have proved the truth of that for me. I remember one Sunday morning, early in my mission, I felt really low. I didn't want to do anything or talk to anyone. But rather than curl up in bed and not do anything, I went to church and did everything I could to help others around me have an uplifting time. Amazingly, by the end of church that day I felt great. The debilitating feeling I'd had that morning was just a distant memory. That is just one example but I have had dozens exactly like it where I stopped focusing on myself and felt happiness.

This principle is not just applicable to missionary work. I know it can be applied universally. Whenever we are focused on our self, our own desires, or our own needs we often become depressed that everything isn't working out perfectly, but when we lose ourselves in the service of others (or in the service of the Savior,) we can find great joy despite our own challenges.

My goal for the next 18 months of my life is to learn how to apply this scripture to "regular-non missionary" life. While I will have to do some focusing on myself as I go to school and work and take care of other necessary life things I hope to make much of my life focused on serving others. I know that as I do this I will be able to find great joy as I have the past 18 months. I invite all of you to do the same, put your life in His hands, lose it in His work and I know that you will find your life saved.

No comments:

Post a Comment